Sunday, September 2, 2012

Uncrustables, cheaper and better

The two of our five kids who attend the local school qualify for reduced lunch.  We could feed them for close to nothing, and they sometimes do want the school food (they always choose vegetarian options).  But that doesn't work for them every day.  Picky Eater would prefer to eat nothing over the options they offer most days, and Little Dude sometimes just would rather have a thermos of lentil soup.

Last night, I went on an uncrustable frenzy.  We don't have a press thingy.  We did have clearance whole wheat bread that cost 50 cents a loaf, however.  And that great Kirkland PB and a ton of overpriced organic jellies that I got on clearance a few months ago.  They're usually too rich for our blood.

The way to make uncrustables without a press is to cut out two circles with a wide-mouth canning jar ring.  Put a wee dollop of pb in the middle of each circle, and spread it to about 1/2" from the edges. Dollop of jelly in the middle.  If the bread is dry (like my day old bread was), moisten one edge with a little water before assembling the sandwich.  Press the edges together, all the way around, with a fork.

The kids are vegetarian, not vegan, so I made them some with cheese in the middle, too. American cheese is supposed to freeze well.  We'll see.  I made a small batch.  If Daiya wedges ever go on sale crazy cheap, I'll use them, because even the non-vegan kids like Daiya wedges.

Pics next time I make them, if I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment